Criminals are attempting to track the lives of the kids online by retrieving personal information in order to steal their identities. These personal details are gathered in order to get benefited from loans, generating fake accounts and committing crimes. There are many countries that are feared for young generation that may reveal all important information for illegal purposes. So, such an issue needs to be focused instead of neglecting.
As per a few popular and active inspectors, such crimes are attaining heights at a very rate that means kids are continuously getting in trap of such cyber crimes. So, it is also vital for parents to guide their kids with lucrative tips so that such crimes can be avoided.
Igniting the fire:
Usually, social media websites are responsible for setting up the revenue along with considering the targeting advertising that may be based on the personal information. They enable registered users to bequeath a high amount of information. With the limited government oversight, incentives for educating users and industry standards for privacy, security and identity protection; users usually get familiar with fraud or identity theft. In addition to this, such platform offers a ton of confidential information that is likely to be vulnerable to foreign attack. As per the market perspective, Google has patented an algorithm in order to rate individual’s influence with social networking websites. Once it is publicized, it will encourage a huge participation by various users so as to boost the influence score.
Before, you jump to an online platform and block all your social media accounts, just have a look on the few ways that will assist with the smartest ways of what to share and who to share with. Just by following the best practices that have been rolled down, one can enjoy the various benefits of social networking websites by saving yourself against becoming target for criminals.
• Always try using unique names and passwords for every profile.
• Do not share username and passwords with any kind of third party even if it is helping you to build a good network.
• Avoid sharing the information such as hometown, date of birth, home address, primary e-mail address, year of college graduation or high school.
• Only add known people to your network or those whom you have met, but just avoid strangers.
• In accordance to password security verification questions, use a password for all the answers.
• Track your post and whatever you say, as it can be employed for later use.
• No matter, whatever is the situation; never share your social security number or any driving license numbers.
• Always vary your passwords and keep on changing them on regular interval of time.
• Just assume your plan of being active in social media, just reduce the personal information usage on your profile that can be employed for phishing attacks or password verification.
• Consider age-shifting to shield your real birthday and keep the date close; otherwise you may also get the exposure to age discrimination.
• Evaluate where to post and what to say as it can be employed for later use.
• On the regular interval of time, Google yourself to monitor the credit you are using for the free annual report or any other monthly monitoring services.
Thwarting identity theft:
• Get installed the theft protection software on your computer in order to get access of social media accounts.
• Employ your real name whenever you need to get signed up to social media accounts.
• Modify your privacy settings on all the social media accounts, so that you can control all the information that has been posted.
• Ensure that you avoid clicking the box for which password has to be saved especially when you are on a public laptop or computer.
• Avoid sharing personal information on any social media website such as phone number, address and birth date.
• Input the name of any social media website or employ a bookmark in contrast to clicking the email links.
• Never share your travel plans over any social media websites.
• Employ extreme caution while opening links on social media websites.
• Try creating complicated passwords whenever you sign up on any social media accounts.
• Mind avoiding online applications on any social networking website or internet, that needs access to personal or profile details.
With all above social media guidelines, you can safeguard your kids against identity theft.